This site uses cookies to store information on your computer


The SEND Register and Process

The SEND Register and Process

SEND Support

If a teacher feels that a pupil requires support additional to what is offered at the Universal level of the School Offer, they may discuss with parents the option of putting the child on a SEND support plan.

The teacher and parents would then come together to discuss the outcomes which they want to achieve for the pupil and what provision may be put in place to best support them in this. A plan would then be drawn up based on these discussions which would have specific targets and provision for the child. 

This Support plan will be reviewed and updated termly as part of the access, plan, do, review process to ensure that the correct support is in place to help the child make progress in their particular area of need. As the plan is a working document, changes can be made to it any time to reflect what is working or not working for the child. 

The SEND register is very fluid and if the class teacher and parents are in agreement that the outcomes on the Support plan have been achieved and that the pupils needs can be meet through the Universal Offer, then they may no longer need the SEND support plan and may come off the SEND register. 

Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP)

An education, health and care plan (EHCP) is for children and young people aged up to 25 who need more support than is available through special educational needs support. An EHCP identifies educational, health and social needs and sets out the additional support to meet those needs. 

A school may choose to apply for an EHCP when a child receiving support at the Universal and Targeted level, is still not making the expected progress. They may require more Individualised support and provision. The application process requires evidence to show that the targeted support outlined on the SEND support plan has been reviewed and adapted to try to meet the child's needs. 

Parents can also apply for an EHCP through the Local Authority themselves. 

Further information about this can be found by speaking to the SENDCo or by following the link below.

Children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND): Extra help - GOV.UK (